Published by dacosta@culture... on Fri, 09/09/2016 - 12:20
In 1739, the nuns of the Récollets convent graciously endowed the city with land to build a monumental fountain in the heart of this district. Edme Bouchardon, the Royal Sculptor, created the majestic Fontaine des Quatre-Saisons, built between 1739 and 1745 for the glory of the City of Paris. It now forms a magnificent foreground to the façade of the museum. The whole fountain was classified as a historic monument in 1862.